Study Permits

For international students (those who do not hold Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency in Canada), a Study Permit is required for programs that are longer than six months. Study Permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and application forms are available online or by paper. Before applying for a study permit at a Canadian visa office, you must first get a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
Langara’s DLI number is O19319074622 (first character is the letter “O”).

You will need these documents, at a minimum, to apply:

  • Passport with at least 6 months left before expiry
  • Two passport-size photos with names and date of birth written on the back
  • Letter of Acceptance (LOA)
  • Proof of financial support

You may send your application to a Visa Application Center (VAC) that serves your area, or apply online.

If the Canadian government refuses your application for a study permit, you may request a refund. You must submit a written request to, attaching a copy of the letter of refusal or an email issued by the Immigration section of a Canadian embassy or consulate office. Please note that we must receive the request no later than seven days after the start of the semester in order to issue a refund. For more information please refer to our refunds procedures.

Important points to consider for students currently studying in Canada:

High school students in Canada

    • Students who studied at a secondary school (e.g. high school) in Canada and will be attending Langara, must apply to change conditions of their study permit.
    • You cannot begin your studies at Langara until you obtain a valid Study Permit for post-secondary studies.

Post-Secondary students

  • You may change your school, program, field, or level of post-secondary study (e.g. from the Bachelor level to the Masters level) without applying for a new study permit.
  • You do not need to apply for a change of conditions of your study permit.
  • You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.
  • You must notify CIC via your MyCIC account when you are transferring from one DLI to another. You can find the step-by-step instructions on how to notify CIC that you have changed DLI’s on the IRCC website.

Clearing customs

Carry your original documents with you when travelling – do not pack originals in any checked baggage.

To prepare, you should have the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Study Permit or Point of Entry Letter of Introduction (POE) (issued by Canada Visa Office to confirm that your study permit has been granted)
  • Letter of Acceptance from Langara (please print this yourself)
  • Proof of funds
  • Proof of registration
  • Accommodation information

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

do not leave the airport or border without your study permit.

An immigration officer will prepare and print your Study Permit. Be patient and cooperative to help the process.

Before leaving, verify the information on your study permit is accurate. It is much easier to correct any errors before entering Canada.

Starting in March 2017, at select airports, travellers now use a kiosk to confirm their identity and complete an on-screen declaration. Those looking to save more time can create their declaration in advance using a mobile app. Learn more about Primary Inspection Kiosks and the eDeclaration mobile app.

Once you arrive

Langara is required to report to the IRCC on your continued enrolment and academic status. In your first week at Langara bring a copy of your valid study permit to the IE Office.

All study permit holders in Canada are required by law to actively pursue studies. This means that:

  • if you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program; and
  • failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada.

If you plan to take time away from your studies, please speak with an International Student Coordinator. Failure to remain enrolled in programs and to make timely progress towards the completion of your program may affect your status in Canada.

Visit the Government of Canada website for more information on extending your stay in Canada.

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

When you invite your family or friends to visit, it is important to remember that they may require a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada.  To learn more about this requirement please visit this website.  It is important to remember that each visa office has specific document requirements, for this reason we advise you to review the information on this site.

We suggest the following supporting documents:

  • Copy of your immigration status documents (your study permit, post-graduate work permit, etc.)
  • Copy of your passport
  • Letter of invitation written by you.  Check the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website for tips
  • An official enrollment letter issued by Langara College
  • Proof of available funds, if you are paying for their visit

For more information about the inviting family or friends, visit the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website.